Wednesday, January 30, 2008

A New Hobby

I guess the rainy day yesterday was good for more than a nap--I picked up a new hobby: guitar! Alejandro has taken it upon himself to teach me how to play (he´s self-taught). Everyone makes playing the guitar look so easy, but it´s kinda tough! At least at the beginning stages it is. I mean, I have never received any kind of guitar lesson, seen a guitar book, nothing. I think every time I´ve come in contact with a guitar I´ve just picked it up and randomly strummed the strings and then got bored because I didn´t know what I was doing. Anyhoo, yesterday I learned 6 basic chords (I hope I still remember them today) and am learning a very, very basic ¨song.¨ Alejandro is great at explaining and showing me how to play, despite the fact that he´s never had a formal lesson himself--he taught himself from books. He´s also very patient and sat through my initial complaints that my fingertips hurt, my fingers are too small, maybe I need a smaller guitar, etc. But slowly but surely I´m picking this guitar stuff up! I´m excited to learn to play another instrument because I have to admit, I kind of miss playing the piano and will have to wait until I´m back in DC to start practicing that again. Who knows, maybe it won´t be me returning to the states but the next Jimi Hendrix (riiiight......). hah

It´s almost Carnaval time here, which is February 5th. All that means is that there´s a 4-day weekend, which means hopefully I´ll be doing some traveling. Also, it means that people throw water balloons at each other in the streets, and gringos are often a prime target. (I still don´t understand why getting people wet is part of this holiday, but whatever.) Someone tried to soak me from a car last week, but they didn´t have very good aim from a moving car and the water balloon hit the pavement right in front of me but didn´t even get my shoes wet. Booyah! Anyway, I feel a little paranoid walking around during this ¨holiday¨ time which apparently lasts like 2 weeks. Last week I saw two gringos get water balloons dropped on them from an open window. I can´t say it looked like much fun. I guess I have good reason to be paranoid. I´m planning on staying alert and making it past February 5th nice and dry (not counting the constant rainstorms).

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It "lasts like two weeks," but how long does it really last? (You knew that was coming, didn't you?)

The guitar lesson reminded me of the scene in Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore (I wish I could remember what the punk says that sends Kristofferson over the edge).

Sounds like a worthy hobby. Keep at it. I've got some guitar/violin duos ...

4:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Let me put it this way: No."

6:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that is kind of a crazy holiday. Maybe carry an umbrella with you always? Or maybe that is just asking for it? lol. Either way, good luck!!

8:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home